Friday, December 23, 2005

Behold The Hand Of Glory.


Today’s post won’t be that much. Tonight I’ll be writing and preparing a bunch of other entries that will be posted in the next couple of days. I’m not gonna reveal anything yet, so you’ll have to check back daily. You won’t be disappointed. In the meanwhile here are some things to keep you busy online while you are impatiently waiting for updates of my fresh and genius rambling writings. Here’s some Friday relaxing reading material.

alpha) Every time I post something a little bit interesting on Megalomaniacal Supernauts I promote the shit out of this blog on various messageboards Western world wide. Yesterday I had the honour to get a visit on this blog from John Porcell. He had read the entry with the Henry Rollins stuff and noticed the Discharge passage. This is what he posted on the
Livewire messageboard in the promo thread I had put up there.

Funny that you posted that, I used to read those playlists every time they came out, awesome stuff, I'm psyched to read that book. When I first saw that blurb about Discharge's "It's No TV Sketch" I sent Henry an e-mail about it, I still have it so here it is...

Hey Henry, I noticed on one of your playlists, you had a description for Discharge's "It's No TV Sketch" (great song by the way) where you mentioned how legend had it, when Discharge went metal, HR tackled the singer onstage. Not exactly what happened, but it's an interesting story nonetheless...

I was at that show, my band Youth of Today played, it was at the old Ritz on 11th St. in NY with COC and Discharge. HR was indeed in the house and did a stagedive for Youth of Today in what appeared to be a three-piece suit, which I can honestly say is the highlight of my music "career." Anyway, onto the Discharge story... NYC was pumped to see them, there were definitely more skinheads and punks there than metalheads, and everyone was jam-packed shoulder to shoulder to see Discharge. Then they came out literally looking like Poison and launched into one of the lamest cockrock ditties that would've made even Junkyard-era Brian Baker cringe. Before they could reach the second chorus, the crowd immediately started booing, spitting and throwing anything that wasn't nailed down. There was almost a riot.

If you remember, the old Ritz had a backstage room that overlooked the stage on the right side, and HR was up there, looking quite disappointed and animated (and by this time stripped down to just a frilly shirt and vest). HR grabbed one of those big plastic garbage cans, full to the brim, and threw it down onstage, literally covering Cal the singer head to toe in nasty musician refuse. Perfect shot. Then he grabbed one of those plastic ice trays filled with beer and ice and launched it at the guitar player, smashing his pedal board and shorting out all his cables. Another bullseye, the guy is like a fucking marksman. With the guitar completely out and a bloodthirsty mob at their feet, Discharge had no choice but to tuck their tails between their legs and slink off the stage, without even finishing their 2nd song.

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool HR!

Take care, Porcell

Rollins wrote me back on that email, here's what he had to say:

Porcell. Thanks for that. I wasn't at that show, obviously, hence the disclaimer in the annotation. I did some shows with them and they were really cool guys. I guess they were going for something different and no one was digging it. In 1984 the Sisters of Mercy opened for Black Flag at the Ritz. I felt bad for them. The first three rows were trying to kill them.
Thanks. Henry

Oh yeah, one more thing on Porcell. Yesterday or so
Barebones Hardcore posted a history of The Young Republicans by Porcell, good writing with great stories. Read it!

beta)
Stop, Look And Listen is a pretty cool fanzine that has a pretty cool website that hosts a bunch of pretty cool live sets by some of our favourite pretty cool hardcore bands. Right now I’m listening to an Inside Out Anthrax set, you know, that show you have seen on video with all the crazy shit going on, that made you want to be there and/or makes you decide that Inside Out must have been one of the most intense West Coast hardcore bands ever. Other shows that have been posted on there recently are two Youth Of Today shows from the ’89 European tour in Germany and a Judge show from Minneapolis in ’90. I still have to listen to all of those, but the Inside Out show has a good sound quality. Also check out the demo section on the site, you can download a bunch of demos from new and upcoming bands such as Wasted Time, Soulfire, Think It Through and a few more.

gamma) Let’s talk Steve Ready and NY Wolfpack.
How’s Your Edge just put up a new interview with Steve Ready about NY Wolfpack, Youth Of Today and fighting. Actually the first NY Wolfpack interview ever, 20 years after the band broke up. A good job done by the 2005 Boston Crew. Coincidently Middle Aged Youth MP3 Blog put up the NY Wolfpack ’89 Demo and LP for download, also the Albany Style compilation 7” (featuring, besides the Wolfpak, the OG Fit For Abuse, Carnal Abuse and No Outlet) is on there. Check out the comments on both posts as there is some interesting info to be found there.

delta) Delta stands for Black Flag. If you are down with the Flag and their early days
here you can read the draft, and extended version, of an article on the history of Black Flag that appeared in the December issue of Mojo magazine written by Jay Babcock. I still have to read the whole thing, but it seems to be on top.

epsilon) NWOBHMetallers from The Netherlands, Powervice, has been doing well in my iTunes player lately. So far they only put out a demo, that I don’t even have yet, and send out a promo to one label only, Nuclear Blast, but that’s already more than enough to make me curious to see them live. They were supposed to play with High On Fire, but that show unfortunately got cancelled. I’ve been told that they are a great live band, so I hope to see them soon. You can hear as much of Powervice as I do daily and get an MP3 from
their site. Yeah, that’s right…only one song. Try to get their demo, and if you get it before me, let me know. Good Judas Priest/early Maiden style of metal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home